Associate Scientist (Fixed Term)
Theolytics is a biotech company working to develop curative cancer therapies. We are a University of Oxford spin-out, backed by Oxford Sciences Innovation (OSI). Over the next 18 months, the team will be rapidly expanding as we develop our R&D activities into the clinic.
We are a supportive team that are passionate about working together to meet our collective goals. We enjoy spending time together – both in and out of work. Our values center around creating an environment that helps people to thrive (both personally and professionally), and we work hard to enable that for each member of the team.
We are seeking to hire two highly organised, proactive individuals to join our team and be an integral part of the company as we grow. We are looking for someone that is a self-starter, and happy to jump in when required in what will be a dynamic working environment. We do not require candidates to possess all of the skills required for this role at the outset; at Theolytics we champion personal development, and will provide training as required. The successful candidate will contribute to the development of the company’s pipeline programmes and play a pivotal role in supporting the R&D activities of the team.
- Assisting a team of scientists with experiments (e.g. flow cytometry, ELISA, QPCR etc.)
- Maintenance of cancer cell cultures, and processing of primary tissue and blood samples, including the establishment and maintenance of quality sample archiving systems.
- Performance of various assays for virus quality control and characterisation (training provided as required).
- Experimental planning and taking ownership of tasks.
- To assist with general laboratory/instrument maintenance.
Required Skills and Experience
- A BSc and/or MSc degree in a relevant discipline (such as Biomedical Science, Virology, Cancer Biology, Molecular and Cell Biology).
- Experience working in a lab environment.
- Experience with tissue culture (cancer cell lines and/or primary cells).
- Basic molecular biology and/or biochemical techniques.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, with good record keeping skills.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience as a research assistant/laboratory technician/scientist in a company and/or academic lab.
- Experience in:
- Virology techniques.
- Blood and/or primary tissue processing.
- Flow cytometry.
- In vivo models and sample processing.
- Next generation sequencing.
- Dynamic and flexible approach to changing workloads.
- Detail oriented, with a dedication to performing high-quality science.
- A willingness and propensity to take on responsibility.
- Strong IT skills (including proficiency with Word, Excel and PowerPoint), and comfort using shared drives.
- Fixed Term Contract – 12 months initial term with potential for extension
- Competitive salary, excellent holiday allowance, flexible working hours, frequent company away days and socials, ongoing training and workshops and an employer-matched pension scheme.
Applications will be evaluated in the order that they are received, and you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.