We are looking for a Bioinformatician to join our growing multidisciplinary and dynamic team. This position represents an excellent opportunity for someone looking to contribute to the development of methods to assess diversity amongst virus metagenomes. The successful applicant will be working in a fast-paced environment, designing and building bioinformatics tools and pipelines, and contributing to key strategic documents. The candidate must be a proactive, organised individual and possess a range of technical expertise across multiple platforms. We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, has excellent communication skills, can interact with a diverse group of scientific disciplines and is happy to jump in when required in what will be an exciting work environment.
- Designing and building bioinformatics tools and pipelines to process genomic datasets.
- Developing methods for assessing diversity amongst virus metagenomes.
- Working closely with wet lab scientists to guide NGS experiment design.
- Cultivating collaborations with external (e.g. machine learning) specialists.
- Contributing to key strategic documents, including reports, presentations and patent applications.
Essential skills and experience:
- A proficiency in Python programming.
- Confident with VCS workflows, such as Git.
- Experience with bioinformatics software, including minimap2, bowtie2, FastQC, fastp, samtools, bcftools, CLC Genomics Workbench and IGV.
- Comfortable working in and maintaining a UNIX-like (e.g. Linux, MacOS terminal) environment.
- Ability to build FOSS from source and indpendently resolve dependency and compatibility issues.
- Proven track record of extracting actionable insights from NGS datasets.
- The ability to communicate effectively within a multi-disciplinary environment to drive decision making in NGS projects.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Familiarity with long-read NGS - such as ONT MinION - its applications and data analyses.
- Experience in haplotype phasing and/or variant calling.
- Some understanding of cancer biology and/or virology.
- Some experience in R&D project management.
- Some experience mentoring & advising junior staff.